November 16, 2010

Grandpa Great

My sweet Grandpa passed away this past Saturday and I've been unsure how to tell Abbie about it. She adores her Grandpa Great and loves visiting his farm ... tonight we had this conversation before bed

I handed her this photo and said "Whose in this picture?"
Abbie: "You, me, Grandpa Dan and Grandpa Great. I love Grandpa Great on his farm"
Me: "Sweetheart Grandpa Great isn't going to be at the farm when we go visit anymore"
Abbie: with a sad face "Why?"
Me: "He went to live in Heaven with Jesus"
Abbie: "oh no, mom I love Grandpa Great"
Me: "I know, and he loves you too - we'll get to see him again"
Abbie: "okay. cause i like him"

It was such a tender conversation, one that put me in tears. My Granpa was a sweet man who is one of the greatest examples I have of genuine love. I am so glad that Abbie was able to get to know him.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Put me in tears too Cami! So sorry about your Grandpa- as much as we know we'll all be together again, it's still hard not having them here. You'll just have to tell her lots of stories about her Grandpa Great...

Joey said...

The wonderful thing is that, she will always have memories of him! Even though she is still so little she will remember the time spent with her great grandfather for the rest of her life. They may fade but they will never be forgotten. Sorry about your loss Cami. Give your dad and family our love.

anne said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa. My Grams passed away in September and I had a hard time telling my kids too. I found a book at the library in the LDS kids section. I can't remember exactly what it was called, but it was something about when we leave this earth. It was written really well and my kids understood a lot better than what I could explain. It might help Abbie.

Alec and Emily said...

Cam, that was so sweet!!! Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I wish I could have come yesterday to the funeral. Hope you guys are doing well and your dad is doing alright as well!